Tuesday, December 18, 2007

John Newton Reflects On Sin

I have just finished a very good biography about John Newton which I will follow up in other entries. I just started another book yesterday while on a flight to Canada. The book is titled "Respectable Sins" by Jerry Bridges, who also authored the notable "The Pursuit of Holiness." As I read I came upon this quote by Newton that he was said to have made at the end of his life, "My memory is nearly gone; but I remember two things: that I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Savior."

In my reading of Newtons life I have found that this man who became a significant force in the pulpits of England and in the influence of politics has been this underlining statement that reflects Paul's from I Timothy 1:15 "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost."

For Newton the years of ministry were marked by trials and suffering that let shine a great hope. A hope in the Savior Jesus Christ. Today we only think of him in terms of the hymn Amazing Grace or the movie by the same title. But as we examine his life we shall see a great Savior!

No comments: