Wednesday, September 01, 2010

1999 Books Read and My Plan

In 1999 I had a heart attack in September.  I found myself rethinking what my future might look like and what I wanted to accomplish.  That fall I started a reading plan that I have made a few changes to over the years.  At first I focused on number of books read then I went to number of pages read.  Today I use the number of pages read to gage the time spent away form TV and other distractions.  I now come up with in January a selected list of 12 titles that I would like to invest myself for the coming year.  Some times I try to hit on a few books related to a topic I want to go deeper in.   I have found that not only do I finish the 12 but ad many more.  So in 1999 I started on an adventure that leads to this present day.  In this blog entry I will list the books for 1999.  Undaunted Courage set the standard and Steven Ambrose became one of my favorite authors.

Undaunted Courage : Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American WestThe Endurance: Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic ExpeditionCitizen Soldiers: The U. S. Army from the Normandy Beaches to the Bulge to the Surrender of GermanyHer Hand in Marriage: Biblical Courtship in the Modern WorldThe Power of Commitment: How Ordinary People Can Make an Extraordinary Impact on the WorldShipwreck at the Bottom of the World: The Extraordinary True Story of Shackleton and the EnduranceSpeechlessShackleton's Boat JourneyTrusting God: Even When Life Hurts

9 books, 2313 pages

No comments: